Saturday, October 13, 2012

Butcherbirds have flown....

Butcherbirds - watercolour

This watercolour was painted for Poppy who has been hand-feeding Butcherbirds and Kookaburras at his home in Queensland for years.  Now for some reason his Butcherbirds have flown and he misses them greatly.


When I was a child the Butcherbirds had a reputation from mesmerizing small cage birds then plucking them out through the bars.  Anyone with a canary or a budgie hated them.  That was long before I saw them sitting politely and patiently on Poppy's knee.

The Texas A&M students at the studio here in Castiglion Fiorentino have been making stencils.  Inspired by their efforts I had to have a go.





Now I'm fighting the urge to don a hoodie and spray a few Butcherbirds around Tuscany.


12 comments:

Felicity Grace said...

The Banksy of Tuscany, what a fun thought! Lovely watercolour and stencil - the edges give a really nice shimmery effect. Interesting photo too, I wonder why the birds have disappeared?

Robyn Sinclair said...

Felicity, my daughter tells me they've put up insect screens. That could have something to do with it.
I'd like to be a Banksy ;)

chelsea said...

Robyn! I'll be back in Castiglion this week, I'll totally help you Banksy the town :)

Jennifer Rose said...

hmmm interesting about them mesmerizing cage birds.

i would be really tempted to spray the bird image around town, much better then the swearing graffiti and the badly spelt ones ( i always want to correct the spelling :p)

dinahmow said...

Do it! Do it!

Krista/Ruca said...

I sooooooo love these, both theater colours and the stencil.

Bridget Hunter said...

Love the art work in this post.

Unknown said...

How sweet of Poppy, but what a shame the birds have disappeared. It's a lovely photo of him and great painting.

I'll keep an eye on international news for your arrest for "street art"

Cathy Gatland said...

The butcherbird stencils would enhance any town - go Robyn! Lovely photo of Poppy and the birds - so sweet - and great watercolour!

Robyn Sinclair said...

Finger's on the nozzle!

Joan Tavolott said...

Great painting of the birds and I love the story to go with it!!

Dan Kent said...

Go for it!! Love the stencil and, of course, the watercolor of the birds. You can't be Banksy, there is only one - you can be Robynsky! Yeah..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...