Friday, September 28, 2007

Images from a Tuscan Landscape


Haystacks - Large Moleskine Watercolour sketchbook

You can still sometimes see old fashioned haystacks in the Tuscan countryside though it is more likely to be big machine-made rolls of hay. My watercolour teacher, Gabriele is very fond of the old style and has painted them many times. So this is a scan of my watercolour after his watercolour which is actually after one of his oil paintings of haystacks in the snow. Monet I am not!

Gabriele also decided I should learn to sketch the beautiful white Chianina cattle. When he was boy they pulled the plough and the wagon. Today, sadly, they are bred for their famous beef.


Caran d'Ache Technalo water-soluble pencil

If you are lucky there's still an opportunity to get close to these beautiful animals during Medieval parades. These two passed right by my front door. Which reminds me that I must one day post about all the strange and wonderful sights that pass by my front door.

10 comments:

Joan said...

Isn't it amazing how such simple things make such lovely paintings? Nice job on both of these.

mrana said...

Robyn, thank you for the wonderful comment on my Dove sketch ... I really needed someone to look at it and say something and you got hit the nail on the head :) And I love your recent paintings they are gorgeous, especially the Venice door which is inspirational!

Lin said...

I LOVE this watery watercolor, Robyn -- dreamy and loose!

caseytoussaint said...

I love the understated way you dealt with those haystacks - it looks like Gabriele is going to be a great teacher!

Anonymous said...

I love your haystacks and especially the "old worlde" feel to it, I'm always partial to it. And am I glad you are not Monet...there are already too many out there!! We can do with a Robyn.
Ronell

Anonymous said...

You only see the machine type in England these days. Mind you, I think they are quite attractive too! But not as pretty as these. Lovely painting!

Judybec said...

your paintings are very beautiful! my....what interesting things pass by your front door.... I'll be back to look again!!

Mary said...

I love the simplicity of the watecolor sketc. It is gorgeous and I think you would enjoy doing the cattle. I have wanted to also, and hope to get around to it.

mARTa said...

Monet and Picasso move over!!! These are fabulous!!!! I just love the cows (this coming from a totally LA city girl!) You are so diverse....what talent and inspiration you are to me!!! Brava!

Making A Mark said...

I think Gabriele sounds as if he has the right idea about subjects to sketch.

You really caught the shape of the hind quarters of these magnificant creatures - aren't they wonderful? Lovely photo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...