Saturday, July 28, 2007

Killing Me Softly


Watercolour & White Oil Pastel - Canson CP 7"x9.5"

It's okay, I haven't gone mad! I've been trying to draw and paint now for about two years. I've been extremely preoccupied with different mediums and techniques and struggling to get control of a watercolour brush and that elusive substance - water. At the back of my mind has been a secret fear - I'm not say anything. I'm trying to paint something beautiful, sometimes ending up with something pretty, but I'm not saying anything!

This week my wonderful friend Sally (Author/Artist) sent me a photo from a fish market. She didn't say anything either - just emailed me a great photo. I decided to accept the challenge to paint this dead fish because of the wonderful colours. Then I found myself saying something. I can't eat animals with big brown eyes, and beyond that, have a lot of guilt about the creatures I do eat. Okay, maybe I am going mad! So, I've finally said something, like it or not!

Yesterday, I spent the morning making value charts of all my W&N watercolour tubes and turning them into a colour chart on a split ring. I saw this wonderful idea on someone's blog and apologise for not being able to remember who's it was. If anyone can help me I'd be most grateful, I'd like to say thanks because this is the most helpful colour selection tool I've ever discovered.


What made this really easy was my John Salmon brush Charger. I took a little pure paint directly from the tube, painted a square, than charged the brush from the base for the next lighter value and so on. I bet you thought the Charger was another of those gadgets I'm notorious for collecting and discarding!

14 comments:

Joan Y said...

Wow, unreal! This is an incredible painting and the blood splatters add to the realism.

Anonymous said...

Your fish is delish.

Great job.

Dermott said...

Yum!

Especially if a cat eats the fish.

And I'm within reach when it's finished.

juj said...

WOW! SOOOOO creepy GOOD! I am in lust over this piece...

Karen Cole said...

I love the edgyness of this painting. I had trouble at first trying to decide if it were the actual photo or, in fact the painting.

Great piece......especially the red...errrr..blood.

John Salmon said...

Thanks for the plug Robyn. I knew you'd find a use for that Charger. All the best, John.

Joan said...

Nice job on the poor dead fish. I hope he appreciates your work. I've always said I was going to make a color chart for myself, but never did. Yours looks great! What is a charger??

Robyn Sinclair said...

I've come to the conclusion most people would rather not look at murdered fish, so I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Joan Y - Thank you :)

Judith - Most appreciated.

Judi - I was thrilled that you liked this. Thank you.

Karen - Thanks - I was after edgy.

Joan - There is a link in the post to John's blog where he has wonderful photos, instructions to make and tutorial to build a charger.

caseytoussaint said...

I love this fish! I haven't had time to read about your new tool, but as soon as I get back next week I'm going to look into it!

Jana Bouc said...

The fish painting is a stunner! Gorgeous soft gradations in shades of gray and then that red blood! Amazing! (though does make me want to reconsider vegetarianism!)

Robyn Sinclair said...

Casey & Jana - thank you for liking my fish. I think it is the best thing I've done all year so I love that you get it.

Making A Mark said...

I love the way Dermott gets to comment!

I've got a ton of fish pictures from the Pescheria in Venice - let me know whether you need any more or want another challenge.

Your value charts look great - looks like a very useful exercise.

Robyn Sinclair said...

Katherine - Thank you! I'd love some of your Venice fish photos. Perhaps you could choose one for me. I have to stay focussed on this current series of Love in a Mist at present.

I love my watercolour chart. I bought NINE new colours after reading Shirely Trevena's book and it was so easy to do the value charts for them and insert them in the right place on the ring. I would recommend this system for anyone starting in watercolours. It makes choice so much easier. I do NOT recommend everyone buys as many different colours as I did - excessive!

As for Dermott - You can't stop a 45kg Old English Sheepdog having his say! If you really want to get inside his head, check out his blog. He's uncontrollable.

Milos said...

2 more years and you'll be twice as good...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...